Spring is all about colour. Most of the time I wear black or grey so I add colour by brightening up my makeup, in particular my lips. I never used to be a fan of bright lipstick but once I tried a bold lip a few times I didn't go back. Check out my go-to spring shades and tips for longer lasting lipstick below.
- Exfoliate. The lips are a delicate area so use a gentle lip scrub to help keep them smooth and line free.
- Hydrate. The best way to help your lips recover from winter is to add extra hydration. I am addicted to my Paw paw ointment and also love Fresh Advanced Therapy Lip Balm. Do not skimp on water either. I find for even a day when I don't drink enough water my lips start to feel extra dry.
- Use a lip liner. I never used to use a lip liner on myself. One day I started and I can not go back. For a bold lipstick this is a must, it will really help your lip stay much longer and prevent any product bleeding. Not to mention give the appearance of a fuller lip.
- Blot. After applying your lipstick, press your lips together on a piece of tissue then apply a second layer. This will set your lipstick into your lips making it last longer. Repeat twice then apply your final coat of lipstick.
- Add a gloss. Make the lips look plumped by adding a gloss to the centre of the lips. Currently I am hooked on Charlotte Tilbury's Lip Lustre "Hall of Fame".
Must Have Shades
- Coral. Charlotte Tilbury's Matte Lipstick "Sexy Sienna" + K.I.S.S.I.N.G. Lipstick "Coachella Coral" are my current top coral shades for spring and summer. Coachella coral is slightly more pink whereas Sexy Sienna is a true coral shade.
- Orange-Red. I have long been a fan of Giorgio Armani Rouge D'Armani lipstick "#401". For years it has been my go-to summer lipstick since it is a true orange-red lipstick. Charlotte Tilbury "Love Bite" is a great alternative for someone looking for a neutral bright red that wears well with any skin tone but is slightly less orange.
- True Pink. In my purse currently is Smashbox Be Ledendary Lipstick "Panorama Pink". Slightly paler then the usual bold fuchsia pinks I wear, this is a bright pink lipstick is perfect for spring.
Katie is a makeup artist based in Vancouver BC, represented by Lizbell Agency. She has been in the Vancouver beauty scene for 10 years, and in love with makeup for most of her life. When she is not painting faces she writes for her blog and is a contributor for Fashion Magazine.