My 5 Tips For A Better Sleep
Sleeping doesn't come easily for me. When I was younger I suffered from insomnia and constantly struggled to feel rested come morning. I have learned I definitely need to log 8 hours a night, which can be hard to get once I disconnect from my day. As I write this it is 10:30pm at night, which goes against Tip #4. Lets just say it is a work in progress for me!
5 Tips For A Better Sleep
- Eliminate Noise. This summer my sleeping world as I knew it completely changed. While away at the Squamish Music Festival my friend and I were trying to get some sleep while the rest of the house was still wide awake. I couldn't sleep through the noise and that is when I was introduced to ear plugs. It was one of those, "how have I been going through life without these" moments. I usually sleep without them but now when every noise seems to rattle my brain or when Scott is snoring extra loud, I plug them in and shut the world out.
- Grab An Extra Blanket. Sometimes sharing is not caring. Luckily for me I am known as the blanket hog in our household so this one doesn't often effect me. On nights that I am losing the blanket war, I don't fight it and just grab the extra one that is on our bed for myself. A win for everyone.
- Black Out. Lights used to be my biggest problem. I couldn't even have an alarm clock in the room or any sort of light from outside without it disturbing me. Now I am often fine but I have found that a sleeping mask is a great thing to have on hand. Especially if your partner likes to read in bed or comes to bed after you. It is an easy way to keep you in the dark and not be disturbed. An added bonus, my Saje sleeping mask comes with an insert I can heat or cool to help with puffiness or congestion.
- Shut It Off. This is the one I still struggle with the most. It is so easy to lay in bed checking emails, scrolling Instagram or binge watching snapchat stories. I now try to stay off my various devices 30 minutes to a hour before I want to be asleep. Instead of being glued to a screen I have a cup of tea and snuggle with my fur babies. A much cozier way to end the evening. If you do have an urgent email or text to respond to, try turning the brightness down. I do this when I absolutely have to look at something.
- Stretch It Out. Yoga is a great way to unwind for the evening. This is something I personally need to get back into. I don't think I have ever slept better than when I was regularly doing evening yoga classes. I have learned though that you don't need to take a class to still get the benefits of stretching. If I can't get comfortable when I climb into bed, I hop out and spend 10 or 15 minutes stretching or using my foam roller. It is amazing how this instantly helps me relax.
Do you have any sleep secrets you swear by? I would love to hear them in the comment section below!