This weekend I am Whistler bound for a girl get-a-way, my first since last April (Gasp). I have always been known to over pack. Even when I managed to pack in a carry-on for two weeks in the Caribbean, I still didn't use half of what I brought. So this weekend I am determined to pack light (well fairly light), I have even pre-planned all of my outfits, but there are a few essentials I can't be without when travelling with the girls.
- Makeup Palettes. Forget single shadows that get lost in your bag. Stick with shadow + blush palettes or even better, an all in one.
- Travel Sized Shampoo, Skincare + Body Products. I love my beauty products (duh I am a makeup artist). There is nothing worse than coming back from a vacation with crappy skin from using whatever products the hotel provides. Some people can slather anything on their skin and be fine. If you are a sensitive skin gal like myself, pick up travel sizes of products you know work for you. And... don't forget about your body. I recently discovered the brand I Love My Muff which has the most amazing feminine hygiene products. They even come in cute travel sizes.
- Dry Shampoo. You will at some point decide the wait for the shower line up and/or blow dryer just isn't worth it. Dry shampoo will save the day.
- Hair Tools. Coordinate with your girlfriends before who is bringing what. There is nothing worse than only one curling iron to go around for 5 girls, just as there isn't a need for everyone to bring a straightener. Also, don't be the girl who shows up with nothing thinking that you will just use all of your friends stuff. As the girl who always brings everything, it gets old fast.
- Magazines. If you decide it is worth it, you are going to need something to read while you are waiting (Re: #3).
- Sleep mask + Ear Plugs. Okay this one gives away my age. Gone are the days when I used to be able to function on a few hours of sleep. Now I prefer to guarantee that when I want to sleep I can. This way the party can go on and if I am ready to catch a few zzz's, I can no problem.
Are you heading anywhere on vacation soon? If so, where to and what will you bring? Sound off in the comment section below.
Shop This Post
Katie is a makeup artist based in Vancouver BC, represented by Lizbell Agency. She has been in the Vancouver beauty scene for 10 years, and in love with makeup for most of her life. When she is not painting faces she writes for her blog and is a contributor for Fashion Magazine.